Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Reduction Prompt

So I'm obviously not managing my once a week goal so far.  I'd lower my standards, but that doesn't push me to actually get anything done, so I'll try to actually get something at least posted once a week, then i can push myself to post writing once a month too.


This is a prompt a friend shared with me the other day.  The goal is to reduce and distill your writing.


Step 1:
Write a 500 word story.

Step 2:
Don't look back at what you wrote.  Now write the same story in 250 words.

Step 3:
Don't look back at what you wrote.  Now write the same story in 100 words.

Step 4:
Look back and how the story changed as you reduced the number of words used to tell it.



I haven't tried this out yet, but I may in the coming week.  If I do, I'll be sure to post the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment